Translate

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Memories: I'll Open That


Memories: I’ll Open That for You – by daughter Anne Thomas

Mother and I did a lot of traveling together. She always brought along snacks and something to drink so we wouldn’t have to do a lot of stopping or spending our money for something that would cost more than at a local WalMart.

Since she was the co-pilot and I was the pilot, I wasn’t allowed to take my hands off the wheel in order to be distracted by opening something to eat or drink. It was bad enough that I would eat or drink a soda as I drove.

On one of our trips she asked me if I would like a Nutty Buddy to go with my Sprite. I told her, “Yes, please; that would be nice”.

I heard the rustle of the paper as she opened the Nutty Buddy but after about five minutes she still hadn’t handed me a Nutty Buddy. I glanced over to see what was going on.

Mother was crunching the Nutty Buddy and seeming to enjoy it very much. This was a surprise because I had never seen her eat one before. She always said that she didn’t think she would like them, and besides they would probably get under her teeth.

I gave her a few more minutes; glancing over occasionally to see how it was going. When I saw she was fixing to take the last bite I said, “How was that Nutty Buddy? Did you like it?”

Mother’s surprise was so funny I had to laugh; and as usual she joined in. “I hope you enjoyed that, Anne. I know I sure did.”

Every time I eat a Nutty Buddy I think of Ms. Alberta and the day she ate a Nutty Buddy for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment