Translate

Friday, June 8, 2012

PICTURES: Generations: Heritage


I can remember watching Ms Alberta as she embroidered pillowcases and tablecloths. My grandmother “Mom” Shoupe would crochet around the pillowcases or tablecloths after Ms Alberta was finished. I still have some of the scarves that they did together in this way.

When I was about eight years old I asked if I could learn how to embroider and crochet. Ms Alberta hemmed bleached muslin and got out special patterns that she used to create designs on seven dish towels with each day of the week and a small animal. Then I was taught how to stitch the designs.





I still use the skills that Ms Alberta taught me. I use them to create quilts with matching pillow cases or create doll dresses from the pillow cases. I am now passing the same skills on to my grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment