Translate

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

1943 Girl Scout Cookie Sale Street Car Transfer Ticket, circa 1943


By the time I was seventeen the war was in full swing and I was the oldest sister to two sisters and a brother. I did my part to help “the boys in green” who were overseas fighting for freedom. I made candy and shipped it to different young men that I knew who were fighting overseas.
When I found out Pop’s mother, Florence, was going to Cincinnati to visit one of her grand daughters that worked in a factory there I decided I wanted to get a job there too so I talked and talked until Pop finally let me go with my grandmother to Cincinnati, Ohio. Of course he went with us because he wanted to be sure that I would be okay.
I got a job working in a factory called Goodalls making uniforms. I also found out that since it was considered a military factory that there was a freeze on the job and that I wouldn’t be able to leave until the war was over. Pop helped me find a place to live in a boarding house called Methodist Home for Girls. It was ran by five old maids and believe me they were strict. If you didn’t get in quick when they pushed the button you would be locked out. So you better kiss your fellow really quick and get in the door!
There was a bunch of us girls that lived in the boarding house. Every morning we would wake up to the smells of toast being made in the oven, of oatmeal on the stove and the sound of the whistling teapot that meant the water was hot for our tea. By the week end we were ready for some entertainment, but not like kids have for entertainment now.
Every weekend I would buy a twenty five cent Girl Scout Cookie Sale Street Car Transfer Ticket. That ticket allowed me to travel anywhere I wanted to travel the whole weekend. I loved riding on that street car and seeing the sights of Cincinnati, Ohio! I had one of those tickets left that I had Ann to sell on eBay. I was really surprised that not only did I get a little bit of money for my Girl Scout Cookie Sale Street Car Transfer Ticket; I found out the couple who bought it put it into a Scout Museum! It really makes me feel good to know that others are getting to see something that I held on to for all of these years.
They talked different than we did in the North. One day this guy was doing a job on a ladder, putting up light. He caught his foot in the ladder and fell. There was another guy standing there and he said, “Hey lady! He’s fallen for you,” I was shy and it made me mad. Then the other guy said, “I think she’s ready to smear your puss.” Where I came from that was a bad, ugly word; and he had insulted me. So it really was hard to get use to northern talk.
We walked to and from work. We worked on Ninth Street which was only a couple of blocks up. I enjoyed the work and being almost on my own. But my little sister, Sue was sickly and missed me. Mom had been an invalid before and for the first two years after Sue was born; so I took care of Sue, Faye and Willis. Sue would cry for me; and that was making her worse. It was hard to get away from working in the factory because of the work freeze but I finally got a waived on my freeze for the job so I could go home and take care of Sue. It was good to get away for a little while, but it was even better to finally go back home.
Vintage Street Car Ticket – Cincinnati, Ohio – 1943 Item # 260444988568   Sold on eBay       7/11/2009 to a couple from Colorado. They sent me the information that the ticket was going into a Scout Museum. I had sent them a short history about mother. Mother was very pleased that the ticket went into a museum, especially since she had worked in Murray, KY for the Boy Scout Museum there. She was a tour guide for the Norman Rockwell portion; she loved Norman Rockwell.

No comments:

Post a Comment