Translate

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

1947 - 1948 Dr. Begley

1947 - 1948
I thought I would do a little recording here. I thought I would talk about Dr. Burkhead; he was the doctor for the coal mines. Dr. Burkhead had an office upstairs in the company store. He was the one who delivered Ann. We moved to a little town called Golden Ash, which is a little out from Harlan, where Mom and Pop lived. My other three children were delivered by Dr Begley, who made house calls.
When Dr. Begley would come and check on me, one of my kids, or whoever else he had in the community to check on; he and his wife would come by so they could take Ann with them. Ann sat in the car with his wife, who was from Australia. They had no children, and they both thought that Ann was cock of the walk. So they would pick Ann up and she would sit and talk to his wife while Dr. Begley did house calls. They took her a lot and so did Mom and Pop who kept Ann every other night. Mom wouldn’t ask she would just come in and say, “It’s my night.” Then pick Ann up and take her to spend the night.
Dr Begley moved from the company store at the coal mining camp to Cumberland Avenue in Harlan. Harold and I would go back to Harlan to visit Engle Davenport’s mother and sister. Engle Davenport was the boy I was dating before Harold. Engle was killed June 1944 in Germany.
One time when we were passing through to visit Engel’s folks, Harold says there is where Dr Begley use to live. I wonder if he still lives there. So we stopped and visited, they still didn’t have any babies. But we had a good visit; they still thought a lot of Ann.

No comments:

Post a Comment