Translate

Friday, February 10, 2012

1950 - December 9 Grandma Bettie Dies


1950 – December 9 – My Grandmother, Bettie Lanter Montague Vaughn Lowe Died
My mother’s mother was Bettie Lanter. Her first husband had been a railroad man by the name of Robert Ottinger Montague. They had two sons, Robert, Jr. and Grover; and a little girl named Pearlie. Pearlie was struck by lightning inside the house and killed.
After Grandma Bettie divorced Montague she had married my grandfather, Albert Vaughn. We had always been told that Bettie was so jealous of Grandpa Vaughn that he had felt smothered and that was why he had left her; he just couldn’t take the jealousy.
After that she had married a man with the last name of Lowe. It’s been so many years I can’t seem to recall what his first name was.
But what I’m getting to is that when Mom had gone to see Grandma Bettie on her death bed; Grandma Bettie had greeted and said, “Honey, I was a tryin’ to get you a new daddy; but I took sick and didn’t get the job done.”

No comments:

Post a Comment