Translate

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

1948 - May 17 - My Only Son, Harold Danny Thomas is Born


I had gone shopping and ran into our local doctor at the store. I was big as a cow with my second child and not really paying much attention to the fact that I was past my due date.
“Alberta, I was wondering why you had either had this baby at home or had another doctor deliver it. Haven’t you noticed that you’re two weeks past your due date? You need to go on into the hospital and let us help this little fellow get on into the world.”

So on May 13th I checked into the hospital to have my baby. Just like Ann had done that little fellow took his sweet time getting here. It was three days and four nights later that my second child, a boy, arrived in Harlan County, Kentucky. As I had promised myself all those years ago I named him “Danny” after the song Danny Boy and Harold after his daddy; Harold Danny Thomas.
I had forgotten but Harold had remembered. Just like he had promised back in 1945 when we got married and couldn’t find any yellow roses for my bouquet; Harold brought me a dozen yellow roses to the hospital.
Harold Danny is grown now, married with two sons and a daughter. His oldest son is named Harold Danny Junior.

I was sitting here remembering something that Danny did when he was growing up. It was Christmas and we had gotten him this little carpenter set for Christmas. Everything was made out of plastic; so he couldn’t hurt himself or anything else.
Well we had this cannon ball bed that had four posters. I missed Danny and found him with that little plastic saw. He was working on one of those cannon balls trying to cut it off. Much to my surprise he was more than half way through one of those cannon balls! He always was that way. He would make his mind up to do something and would really work at it to get the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment