Translate

Friday, March 2, 2012

1989 Death of Mom Shoupe

1989 – December 1 – Death of Mother, Myrtle Evabelle ‘Mom’ Shoupe
My mother, we all called her Mom Shoupe, was living in Ohio. This was after she had moved from Kentucky to Ohio; from Ohio to Texas, to find her a rich oil man; from Texas back to Kentucky, there were no rich oil men there just old men looking for younger women; then from Kentucky back to Ohio.
Her health started to fail so she wanted to come back to Elizabethtown to live. Ann and Tony, Tony was Ann’s husband then, went up, packed her up, then drove the truck to Elizabethtown and unpacked it all into her apartment on David Court. Ann had moved her so often that she knew how Mom wanted everything set up and so Ann set it all up for her.
Mom’s health was so bad that she only got to spend one night in that apartment; and I spent it there with her. She made several trips to the hospital, but seemed to always make it back home with me. Then in late November her heart started to fail.
I spent day and night there with her. My neighbor and friend, Helen Prahl, stayed with me. We had been there at the hospital for the better part of four days when Ann and Tony came in and relieved us. I had only been home long enough to fix something to eat and take a shower when Ann called and told me that she thought I needed to come back in.
Ann said that Mom had told one of the nurses that she was going home. The nurse had said she didn’t think so and Ann had told her she thought Mom had meant her heavenly home. I agreed with Ann and went back to the hospital to be with Mom. She died within hours of my return to the hospital. Mom was buried in New Highland Cemetery at Harold’s feet in the plot close to where Sharon was buried.

No comments:

Post a Comment