Translate

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

April 2005 – Be Careful What You Sale at a Yard Sale

In April 2005 I was living in Murfreesboro, Kentucky and mother was living in Elizabethtown on Washington Street. I had a storage building that I was trying to get organized so I could get rid of some of it and take the rest down to Murfreesboro.

Mother decided she wanted to have a yard sale and asked if I would like to bring some stuff to sale. Since this was my game plan I told her yes and we started getting the garage set up for the sale. I accidently brought a bucket of screws that I had organized into baby food jars. These were not for sale because I used different sizes of the screws for various projects that I did. There was also a small butter tub with jewelry in it that wasn’t for sale because I was going to have it repaired. There was a watch and a smoky topaz ring with a broken band in it along with a couple of gold and silver chains.

I got back from school and mother was all excited because she had gotten a quarter for the watch in my butter tub and a quarter a jar for my screws. I reminded her that I had wanted to keep the bucket of screws but that was okay maybe I wouldn’t need them. I didn’t say anything about the watch.

Then mother asked me if I would care to attaché the four industrial rollers I had in a tote to the bottom of a barrel she intended to put flowers in. I had no use for the rollers and told her I didn’t mind at all.

When I went to get the screws that I needed to attach the rollers to the bottom of the barrel, there were no screws to be had; so I had to go buy the screws that I needed. They cost six dollars and fifty cents. I wasn’t surprised but mother was. Every time she would need a screw she would remind me of the time she had sold all those jars of screws and then we had to go buy just a few and had to pay almost seven dollars for them.

I never did tell her that the watch she had sold for a quarter was a Seiko that needed a battery.

No comments:

Post a Comment