Translate

Friday, March 16, 2012

2011 Email About Anne's Fall


2011 - January 20 Email to Anita and Brother Elmer
Good Morning
I thought I would share a little bit of laughter this morning. I was going to the grocery as soon as mother had taken her medicine and lain down. I had her in bed, tucked in, and turned out the light. As I left the room my feet got tangled in her oxygen line and I fell down.
Mother started, “Ann! Ann! Are you okay?” To myself I’m thinking okay I don’t want to upset mother anymore than I have to; the fall was enough. So I told her it would take me a few minutes to get to my feet, not to worry just give me a minute to see if I’m hurt and could she reach the touch light to turn that on.
She turned the light on and about that time she started laughing and said “This reminds me of that time we both fell on ice going in the door coming home from church. Ann, are you all right? And by that time I was laying right along beside you.” When she said that I started laughing so hard I couldn’t get up at all.
So here we were, her in bed not able to help if I needed it, and me laughing so hard I couldn’t help myself.  She said, “Well, my button won’t help from way up here in Stanton from Elizabethtown and the phone is way in the living room, so we are really in trouble birdsong!” More laughing at ourselves until we were both weak.
When I finally got my breath between laughs I told her I had my cell phone in my pocket and I could call Teri to let the paramedics in if we needed them. That brought on more laughter until we were both almost crying.
Anyway, I’m a little bruised but no broken bones and mother and I had a short walk down memory lane. Laughter is a good medicine after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment