Translate

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

1947 - Ann Climbs the Powder Boxes

1947 – Ann Climbs the Powder Boxes
The mining camp town houses didn’t have kitchen shelves but Harold had taken powder boxes and nailed three of them together for shelves. We had some left over wall paper and I had used that on the powder boxes to make them pretty. When Harold and I had married we had a wedding shower and I got a bunch of Pyrex which I stored on those three shelves, along with some of my staples of flour, sugar and cocoa. Those shelves sure did look good to me.

I had put my little baby, Ann, down for a nap and was out hanging clothes on the line. My little baby Ann had crawled out of her baby bed. And then my sweet little baby crawled into the kitchen and used those powder boxes for a ladder. She emptied box three that was on the bottom; then climbed up to box two; when she had emptied box two she climbed up to the top and empted that box too. When she was finished each box was empty and all my pretty Pyrex was on the floor and broke into a million pieces. Miss Ann was sitting in the middle of all that glass covered in flour, sugar and cocoa. It was a wonder she hadn’t gotten cut on all that glass. I didn’t know if I should cry or yell. One thing for sure though Miss Ann was about to get her butt busted!
About then my mother, Mom Shoupe the kids all called her, came in, saw what Ann had done, grabbed her up and ran with her. I didn’t get to bust her butt, but I never have let Ann forget about that broken Pyrex and how funny she looked all covered in flour, sugar and cocoa, with her violet blue eyes wide open!

Mother told me once in later years that I had more than made up for all the broken Pyrex.

No comments:

Post a Comment