Translate

Monday, April 16, 2012

1941 December 7 – Bombing of Pearl Harbor

In the early morning hours of December 7, 1941 the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. The next day, December 8, 1941, Congress made the war with Japan official.

There was a real buzzing in the streets of Harlan; patriotism and wanting to get even with those Japanese. A bunch of the boys I went to school with ran into the recruiter’s office to join up so they could go fight.
When he was old enough my very good friend, Engle Davenport, who before he left declared his love for me and promised when he returned he would ask me to marry him. He bought a silver bracelet, the kind that has a place for pictures inside; he put a picture of me in there and marched off to war. He was wearing it the day he was killed June 1944. His mother brought the bracelet to me for a remembrance of him, I have it still.

On July 29, 1943, just before his eighteenth birthday August 4, 1943, my future husband, Harold Lee Thomas, joined up too. Old Uncle Sam had taken another man.

No comments:

Post a Comment