Translate

Friday, April 20, 2012

2011 – April Visit from Brother Elmer, Anita, and Doug

The last week in April, Brother Elmer and Anita called to tell me they were coming up for the week end. Doug, who loves mother as though she was his own mother, is coming with them.

The night before their visit, as I tuck her in, I ask if she remembers they are coming tomorrow. Mother says, “Yes, I will enjoy their visit. And then I am going to die.”

I didn’t tell Brother Elmer about this until they were ready to leave. I believe we both knew it was probably true. Mother had gotten weaker, seemingly overnight. She had gone from trips to sit at the dining room table to have her breakfast to not even being able to get to the bathroom on her own. This seemed to be the very last indignity for a very independent woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment