Translate

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Memories: Teri Booher Centers, Granddaughter


We were asked to tell a story about Edith Alberta Shoupe Thomas Brandon. As I reflected on my years of her as my very strong, loving grandmother it was hard to pick just one story. My grandmother helped and did so much for other people; she truly touched the lives of so many.
I will start my story by telling you that my name is Teri Denise Booher Centers, youngest daughter of Alberta Anne Thomas and Heinrich Walter Paul Josef Booher; number six of Alberta’s ten grandchildren.
My grandmother would save her dimes in a brass bell piggy bank, she called this her Fun Fund. (Although looking back now she definitely spent more on those vacations than those dimes.) When I was twelve she took me and my sister Angie on a weekend trip to Lake Barkley State Park.
As we traveled down the highway I remember looking at the speedometer, needless to say Nana had quite a touch of lead foot. You see the speed limit then was 55 MPH. If I remember correctly I pointed this out to my grandmother and she stated that I was mistaken. As we passed a highway sign that said US82; she said “You see there you fuddy-duddy that one is for me!” I can remember the smile on her face just like yesterday.
We traveled on down the road and as we blew pass our exit, my sister and I begged her to turn around in a U turn in the middle of the road. We went thirty seven miles in the wrong direction because she stated that you weren’t supposed to use a U turn; that she was a law abiding citizen and she wasn’t doing it. Finally we got turned around and going back the right way, as her speed increased to 82 again we passed a 55 MPH sign and I said, “I thought you were a law abiding citizen?” she shot me a look with those blue-grey eyes and I knew I was in trouble. For years after this trip my sister and I teased her about how she never broke the law using a U Turn. You see my grandmother never illegally turned around cause that was against the law, but speeding was alright!

No comments:

Post a Comment